1) Veteran stock market investor – often called the ‘Warren Buffet of the Indian market’ Rakesh Jhunjhunwala passed away in Mumbai. He was 62.
2) Congress leader Shashi Tharoor is set to be conferred with France’s highest civilian honour, Chevalier de la Legion d’Honneur.
➨The French government is honouring the him with the highest French order of merit for his writings and speeches.
3) India has added 11 more wetlands to the list of Ramsar sites to make total 75 such sites covering an area of 13,26,677 hectares in the country.
➨The 11 Indian wetlands which have been designated as new Ramsar sites are :-
3 wetlands in Odisha :-
1 wetland in Madhya Pradesh :-
4 wetlands in Tamil Nadu
➨Chitrangudi Bird Sanctuary ➨Suchindram Theroor Wetland Complex
➨Vaduvur Bird Sanctuary ➨Kanjirankulam Bird Sanctuary
1 wetland in Maharashtra
2 wetlands in Jammu and Kashmir
➨Hygam Wetland Conservation Reserve
➨Shallbugh Wetland Conservation Reserve
4) U.N. Secretary General Antonio Guterres has appointed Rear Admiral Guillermo Pablo Rios of Argentina as the Head of Mission and Chief Military Observer for the United Nations Military Observer Group in India and Pakistan (UNMOGIP).
5) Former West Indies all-rounder DJ Bravo scripted history as he became the first player in T20 cricket to pick up 600 wickets.
6) World Organ Donation Day is observed every year on 13 August. This day is observed to spread awareness about the importance of donating organs.
➨This year’s theme for World Organ Donation Day 2022 is “let’s pledge to donate organs and save lives”.
7) India ranked seventh in list of top 20 economies for digital currency ownership as a share of population.
➨India’s crypto ownership is the seventh highest in the world and about 7.3 per cent of Indian population owned digital currency (in the form of cryptocurrencies) in 2021,
8) The Social Justice and Empowerment Ministry launched the “SMILE-75” initiative for comprehensive rehabilitation of persons engaged in begging in 75 identified municipalities as a part of the celebrations of 75 years of Independence.
9) A contingent of Indian Air Force (IAF) has arrived in Malaysia to participate in a bilateral air exercise ‘Udarashakti’ with their Malaysian counterparts.
➨This is the first bilateral exercise being conducted between Indian Air Force and Royal Malaysian Air Force (RMAF).
▪️Indian Air Force:-
➨Founded – 8 October 1932
➨Headquarters – New Delhi
➨Commander-in-Chief – President Ram Nath Kovind
➨Chief of the Air Staff – Air Chief Marshal Vivek Ram Chaudhari
10) Russia launched an Iranian satellite into orbit from southern Kazakhstan.
➨The remote sensing satellite Khayyam, named after the 11th Century Persian poet and philosopher Omar Khayyam, was launched by a Russian Soyuz rocket from the Baikonur spaceport into orbit.
11) Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath launched ‘Radio Jaighosh’ to mark the anniversary of Kakori Train Action as part of the Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav celebrations.
▪️Uttar Pradesh :-
Governor – Smt. Anandiben Patel
➨Chandraprabha Wildlife Sanctuary
➨Dudhwa National Park
➨National Chambal Sanctuary
➨Govind Vallabh Pant Sagar Lake
➨Kashi Vishwanath Temple
12) India’s first virtual space museum “SPARK” was launched by ISRO to mark 75th Independence day.
➨SPARK is ISRO’s first-ever 3D virtual space tech park which includes a museum, a theatre, an observatory, a garden with life-sized rockets, a lakeside cafe area and a children’s play area along with several other interactions.
▪️Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) :-
➨Formed :- 15 August 1969
➨Headquarter :- Bangalore, Karnataka, India
➨Chairman :- S SoSomn